World Health Day 2012 - good health adds life to years
The World Health Organization will be hosting a panel discussion to mark World Health Day 2012.
World Health Day is celebrated on 7 April to mark the anniversary of the founding of WHO in 1948. The day provides an opportunity to start collective action on a single global health challenge and to engage everyone in finding solutions that benefit us all. The topic of World Health Day in 2012 is Ageing and Health with the theme "Good health adds life to years". The panel discussion aims to address public health challenges associated with ageing populations and to provide recommendations and strategies to address them. It also intends to contribute to the deliberations of the “UN General Assembly open-ended working group on ageing”.
- H.E Mr. Mateo Estreme, Deputy Permanent Representative of Argentina to the UN “Update on the UN Working group on Ageing”
- Dr. Jacob Kumaresan, Executive Director, WHO Office at the UN “Policy options for healthy ageing”
- Dr. Simin Nikbin Meydani, Director, Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Ageing, Tufts University. “Nutrition policies for healthy ageing”
- Ms. Jessica Frank Lopez, Chair, United Nations NGO Committee on Ageing “Current advocacy challenges and priorities”
- Ms. Linda I. Gibbs, Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services, NYC “Age-friendly cities”
Time and Venue
Wednesday, 4 April, 2012
1:15 to 2:30 p.m.
ECOSOC Chamber, North Lawn Building
United Nations Headquarters
RSVP to WHD@whoun.org or to Katherine Morfesis, Tel: (646) 626-6060