GSK – The University of Dundee collaborations on Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs) treatments
Active Since: 2011-2022
Contributing to SDGs…
Accelerate research into discovering and developing effective Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTD) treatments.
Academia or research institute
University of Dundee
- Accelerate research into discovering and developing effective Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTD) treatments.
GSK and the Drug Discovery Unit (DDU) at the University of Dundee have a long-standing partnership to research Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs). In April 2017, the Wellcome Trust awarded the University of Dundee £7.9m for a joint five-project with GSK to boost efforts to find new drugs to treat some of the world’s most devastating parasitic diseases – visceral and cutaneous leishmaniasis, and Chagas’ disease.
"The collaboration with the University of Dundee and this funding from Wellcome are vital boosts towards the achievement of GSK’s goal of producing new preclinical candidates for leishmaniasis and/or Chagas’ disease."
SDGs THE PARTNERSHIP CONTRIBUTES TO
RESULTS & MILESTONES
Major highlights in results to date include reaching:
- Candidate Selection for GSK3186899 for Visceral Leishmaniasis in 2016
- Candidate Selection for GSK3494245 for Visceral Leishmaniasis in 2016
- Commit to First time in Human for GSK3186899 for Visceral Leishmaniasis in 2019
- Identification of GSK3186899/DDD853651 as a Preclinical Development Candidate for the Treatment of Visceral Leishmaniasis, Journal of Medicinal Chemistry
- Optimisation of a key cross-coupling reaction towards the synthesis of a promising antileishmanial compound, Tetrahedron letters
- 2,4-Diamino-6-methylpyrimidines for the potential treatment of Chagas’ disease, Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry letters
- Cyclin-dependent kinase 12 is a drug target for visceral leishmaniasis, Nature
- Antitrypanosomal 8-hydroxy-naphthyridines are chelators of divalent transition metals, Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy
- Discovery and Optimization of 5-Amino-1,2,3-triazole-4-carboxamide Series against Trypanosoma cruzi, Journal of Medicinal Chemistry
- Identification of Trypanocidal Activity for Known Clinical Compounds Using a New Trypanosoma cruzi Hit-Discovery Screening Cascade, PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases
Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs)
- Chagas Disease